Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The 500. Part 1


I've taken to exploring these days. Without much else to do during my day, I figure why not? Right behind our house are trails. Trails wide enough for trucks! However I've done all my exploring on foot. (I've recently heard walking is supposed to be good for you anyway..) The trails go every which way. The first one Ben and I took led us to our mailbox. Good thing that one is there. In case our driveway is blocked off, we can still get our mail. Phew. The second trail we took was a bit more exciting. Not very far from our house, but still a pretty sweet find. Maybe 7 minutes into our walk we started hearing peepers. Peepers, from what I know, don't venture very far from water. Within a couple of minute of being serenaded by the little toads, we reached a clearing. There was a good sized pond in front of us. It appeared to be man made. There was a large drain on the right side of the pond that water was constantly spilling into. We couldn't figure out how the pond was ever filled or continued to stay full with a drain in it. After talking to my Mother (My Mom is my go to. I swear that woman knows more that most human beings. She always has a logical answer for me.) We figured that when building the pond they must have hit an underground spring. That would explain the jumping fish. JUMPING FISH I say. You all know me.. I take that stuff pretty seriously. I love me some fishing. =) This also explains why Charlie was coming home soaked. I wasn't aware we were surrounded by water, I just assumed he had learned to use the shower, it would have been about time.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that drain is different. Glad you are enjoying your free time and the outdoors at the same time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that drain is the oddest! i'm sorta scared of it. :) beautiful place nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete